In case you missed it, I got my new lungs! They are perfect for me and I am forever grateful to my donor and their family.

Organ donation is such a selfless act, and as we celebrate an exciting future for me it is important to remember the grief that the donor family is experiencing as well. So please send good thoughts and prayers to their family each time you think of me and my family. 

I have been so overwhelmed the last couple weeks by the amount of support I have received. So many people have reached out, sending love and encouragement, or asking how they can help. I never could have expected this kind of response when I decided to share my story, and I am so glad that I took that leap. I just want everyone to know how much I appreciate all of it. 

My time on the list was so short, which has been a blessing in so many ways. I didn’t have to get extremely sick again before getting my transplant and was able to start off with a little extra strength on my side. The down side to the short wait time was that my family and I had very little time to prepare, both mentally and financially. We were thrust into this process suddenly and everyone has been taking on what they can do to help.

My mom and Hunter have stayed by my side every minute of every day. The nurses were shocked that they literally never left the room. I do not know what I would do without them. I have said it before and I will say it again, my support system is EVERYTHING to me. 

I hope that those of you that are interested in following my transplant journey have connected to my page that is currently run by my sister! She is amazing and has been working so hard to keep everyone updated on social media. We will continue to update with how things are going! I am still in the thick of recovery and am still trying to regain a lot of strength, in addition to healing from all the chest tubes and my gnarly clamshell incision! 

I currently have had 5 of my 6 chest tubes removed and am continuing to improve in all areas. I have been walking laps around the hallways here. They say that 18 laps is one mile, so I’ve been trying to get at least that many laps in each day. I usually take 3 walks a day and was able to get 27 laps yesterday! A full mile and a half!  Today I was even able to do my 4 evening laps with NO walker! I am already accomplishing physical tasks that would have been too difficult for me before transplant! I am so hoping to get discharged from the hospital later this week (maybe Friday) and move into The Transplant House that is only about a mile away from the hospital!

I will likely leave most of the updating to my sister to post about on the transplant page, but I thought I would give this update on my personal page and make sure I got everybody back up to speed. Mostly I just want to express my gratitude for everything everyone has done thus far. Thank you all so much for every kind word and thought, every donation to COTA and prayer, and taking the time to read and share my experience. 


    Leave a Comment