Day 327 - A Year Ago Today...
A year ago, we found out that Everett was eligible to participate in the stem cell transplant study at Duke University. And even though it is research, very few elements are funded. Our initial quote was $1.1 million dollars—which Everett surpassed several months ago.
In order to be able to afford this amazing opportunity, our insurance had to approve (Thank you, Carefirst Blue Cross and Blue Shield!), and we made the decision to partner with the Children's Organ Transplant Association (COTA) to help with the out-of-pocket expenses.
To date, Team Everett (spearheaded by Hannah Koops, Laura Staruk, and Christy Staruk) has raised $61,610.64 of the $100k goal. Over the past year, our amazing community has rallied around our little warrior with so many events...
- Yard sale
- Kickball tournament
- Online auction
- Paint Nite
- Disney-Themed benefit concert
- Truly In His Service fundraiser at Christ Reformed United Church
- Bingo with the Frederick County Sheriff's Deputy Lodge
- Restaurant night at Family Meal
- Open Mic Night at The Perfect Blend Cafe
- Several other events as well as friends who have held fundraisers through their direct-sales businesses and MANY personal donations
We decided to partner with COTA because all donations are tax-deductible and may only be used for transplant-related expenses. So far, funds have been used to pay for:
- Clinic visit copays
- Prescription copays
- Therapy sessions (insurance covers 50 per year, but Everett requires at least 200 per year)
- Therapy tools
- Assistive equipment
- Travel expenses
- Lodging at the Ronald McDonald House of Durham & Wake for 10 months
Thank you to everyone who continues to support Everett with love, prayers, upcoming events, and donations!