Leaving on a Jet Plane!

I'm happy to report that Porter had an uneventful, safe, calm trip from Chapel Hill, NC to Houston, TX yesterday.  I don't think myself or the doctor that went with us breathed the whole trip and were quite relieved when we arrived at Texas Childrens without any issues.  He had a diaper change, a couple additional doeses of sedation, and suctioned once on the flight.  If only sedation was offered to all parents traveling on planes with children!!! I think we'd all travel more!!  

This hospital is HUGE! Porter's room is on the 18th floor and has a great view.  The docs didn't waste anytime getting started evaluating Porter when we got here.  First order of business, get a different ventilator.  Porter was not ventilating well on the first vent so they switched it out for a different model and he immediately settled down.  Then blood cultures, x-ray, ekg, echo and a trip down to CT Lab for a CT scan of his brain to check for any brain damage.  The docs have all of Porters images and results from UNC but they're getting their own tests as well. He's had one nurse dedicated to him so far which helped me get a little sleep last night.  He didn't have any episodes overnight and so far today has been resting comfortably today.  It is amazing though how many medications can be ordered and delivered within minutes but when you try to get orajel it takes two days.  I'm getting ready to walk over to Walgreens to get some if it doesn't come up soon.  We need Orajel stat!!  

There is a Ronald McDonald house inside the hospital and one about a mile away. You have to request the one in the hospital on a day to day basis and I was fortunate enough to be able to stay here last night.  Hopeing to be able to stay in Ron Don in the hospital as much as possible otherwise they have recliners in the Ron Don family room one floor down from Porter.  If I had my car, the house down the street would be fine but the last shuttle run from the hospital to the house is at 4:00pm.  Not sure why it's so early but it is what it is.  I'm just happy to have a place to sleep and a hot shower!!

I'm waiting for the docs to round and see what the next plan is for Porter.  I'm thinking it's going to be a quiet weekend, especially since it's a holiday weekend.  Missing Oliver and Steve already but looking forward for Steve to join me soon and getting Porter well so we can get back home and be a family again.  Oliver has been such a trooper through all of this but I know he's things to get back to "normal".

Thank you all for your prayers and well wishes and to those of you who know people here and have connected me with them!  






    Leave a Comment