5/2/17 - 8:11 a.m.

It's been a long night. The sunrise was absolutely perfect at Duke West. No major complications developed overnight. For some odd reason, her blood is not coagulating well enough for the team to give her an epidural. Risk outweighing benefit currently. The brightest medical minds in the world are currently trying to figure this out. For those of you that don't know, Bonnie Griner has a history of blood clots so this is strange. The team does not want to extubate and wake her up until they can get epidural in or time/circumstances dictate.

Plan for today: epidural, wake up, extubate and assess. New lungs appear to be working well, temp within allowable limits, a couple of times overnight she would squeeze my hand and appear to give slight nod to nurse. Hopefully when she becomes more alert she doesn't panic. Thank you all again and I will update as information becomes available.

Bonnie wanted me to make sure that I ask you all to pray for the donors family in this time of loss. I don't know if we will ever know who they are, but they made a difficult decision during a hard time that gave bonnie a fighting chance to live. For this I will be eternally grateful. It is hard to fathom when l look at her that the lungs giving her life currently are not scarred by 38 years of CF abuse. - Nick


    Leave a Comment