Day 28 - The Rest of the Stem Cells!

On Transplant Day, Everett received only 80% of the donor’s umbilical cord blood. Since then, the remaining 20% of the sample has been in a laboratory and stimulated for specific oligodendrocyte-like cells, which are the cells responsible for making myelin in the brain.

Today, these very special cells were injected directly into Everett's spinal column with the hope that they will go directly to his brain and begin generating the myelin that Pelizaeus-Merzbacher Disease (PMD) prevents him from producing. We are incredibly hopeful that these cells will increase his opportunity to learn, grow, and thrive.

Everett is only the 4th kiddo to participate in this specific stem cell transplant research study, but we are very encouraged to know that our other 3 friends are currently doing very well!

Thank you to the Pediatric Bone Marrow Transplant (PBMT) team here at Duke University Hospital for all of their cutting edge research on rare genetic diseases (especially PMD)!

Picture 1 - Cleaning the area prior to lumbar puncture

 

Picture 2 - Spinal tap                    Picture 3 - Precious vial of ogliodendrocyte-like cells

 

 

 

 

Picture 4 - Lumbar injection of the O-cells ; Picture 5 - Cuddle time with Nurse Lauren

 

 

 

 

Picture 6 - Resting sweetly                Picture 7 - Totally ready to play again!

Comments

    Leave a Comment